Airports $35 Million Improvements Award Provide Economic Boost to Valley
Fresno, CA (September 29, 2011) – Fresno Yosemite International Airport received Council support today for long-range airfield enhancement plans by approving over $35 million for runway reconstruction and ramp construction work.
In October work will begin on reconstructing the aging commercial aircraft apron and taxilane leading to the Federal Inspection Station located on the east side of the terminal. The total cost of this project is $5 million. Work is scheduled to be completed by February 2012.
In November work will begin on widening, lengthening and strengthening the secondary runway. The reconstructed runway will be able to maintain FYI’s operational capacity during times when the primary runway is out of service due to maintenance, construction, or temporarily occupied by other aircraft. The total cost of this project is $30 million. Work is scheduled to be completed by October 2012.
Both projects are 95 percent funded with Federal Aviation Administration Airport Improvement Program grants with the remaining 5 percent matched by Measure C Regional Transportation funds. Combined, the two projects will generate nearly 500 local construction related jobs.
“The ability to execute the Airport’s long-range plans at this time will result in completing the expansion of the airfield for the foreseeable future while putting people to work at a time when job opportunity is critical,” stated Director of Aviation Russell C. Widmar.
Fresno Yosemite’s ongoing sustainability efforts will be incorporated into both projects by maximizing the use of recycled material, LED lighting systems, and upgrading storm water drainage systems.
Nine carriers currently offer Valley passengers approximately 40 daily departures from Fresno. Fresno Yosemite International Airport is an industry leader in terms of cost containment to its partner airlines. Fresno Yosemite is a municipally owned entity operating as a self-supporting enterprise. No City of Fresno general funds are used to operate Fresno Yosemite International or Fresno Chandler Executive Airport.